Continued from Properties of PBS
You can also download the final report (PDF document, 30 pages in total).
Recommendations for future research on PBS
Recommendations to biotechnology industry
- Enlarge the uses of succinic acid will help the development of high scale production;
- Improve the succinic acid monomer recovery step is an essential point both for environmental and economic considerations;
- Interesting routes should be developed considering a direct biosynthesis of butanediol.
Recommendations to polymer industry
- Enlarge the uses of PBS should help the development of high scale production lines;
- Diversify the factory productions;
- Consider the option of a two-step production, by melt condensation followed by SSP;
- Decrease the sensitivity to hydrolysis of PBS;
- Develop the benchmarking of PBS.
Recommendations to compounding and additive industries
- Commercially develop different blends and compounds;
- Develop a better control of the stabilization of PBS by the commercialization of appropriate grades.
Recommendations to plastic converters
- Do a careful selection of PBS properties on the basis developed in the Guidelines for PBS material flexible processing;
- Consider the quality control of the material regarding its degradation states.
Recommendations to coating industry
- Improve gas barrier properties with water based and mineral coatings;
- Test the use of mineral layer directly in contact with food product, it should reduce the migration.
Recommendations to end users
- Follow the four main factors guiding the selection of a PBS packaging:
- The development of PBS for food packaging applications is predicted to start with film packaged foodstuffs, stored in cold conditions, with shelf life less than 2 months.
Recommendations to recycling industry
- Pay attention to the different elements making particular the development of recycling processes for PBS;
- Three routes are advised in specific cases:
- Total depolymerisation;
- Conversion into oligomers;
- Direct conversion of the degraded polymer into a repaired grade.
Recommendation to DG SANCO
- Implement an alternative route for the migration testing of materials sensible to hydrolytic degradation.
Recommendations for future research investigations
- The stabilization of soft polyesters to hydrolysis, by efficient/safe by design additives (physic chemical and toxicological approaches);
- Organic and mineral functional barriers to reduce the migration of highly interacting materials such as soft polyesters;
- The hydrolysis properties of PBS as an opportunity for a fine controlled release for active packaging applications;
- The optimization of SSP process on low melting temperature polymers;
- Repairing of objects by SSP / recrystallization (cf PBS melting temperature increases of more than 10°C);
- Agricultural mulch film applications of recycled PBS and soft polyesters.